Lately I've been trying out some new dessert recipes, this morning I made one called Pumpkin Streusel Coffeecake. I'm really in the mood for warmer weather and spring though and pumpkin reminds me of fall. So I thought I would post two recipes this week, the coffeecake and another recipe I've been wanting to try called Soda Fountain Ice Cream Pie. I have not made the ice cream pie yet so if you try it before I get a chance, let me know how it turns out!
Pumpkin Streusel Coffeecake
(tried it)
Ingredients:
Streusel Topping -
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 Tbsp butter or margarine
1/2 c. coarsely chopped nuts (I used pecans)
Coffeecake -
2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 c. Libby's pure pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9-inch round cake pan (word of advice: I decided I would prefer to use a Corningware dish instead of the cake pan, if you think like I do plan to lengthen your baking time considerably..... nuff said :) ).
For streusel topping: combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly and stir in nuts.
For coffeecake: combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter and sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beat well after each addition. Beat in pumpkin and vanilla extract. Gradually add in flour mixture.
Spoon half of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle half of topping over batter. Spoon remaining batter over topping and sprinkle with the remaining streusel topping.
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean (I cannot stress this enough!). Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes and then remove to wire rack to cool completely (I left mine in the baking dish).
Soda Fountain Ice Cream Pie
(waiting for the motivation to make/try it)
Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. crushed rolled sugar ice cream cones (12 cones)
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, melted
3 c. fresh strawberries
1 quart vanilla ice cream (Bluebell HELLO!!)
1/3 c. malted milk powder
1/2 c. finely chopped fresh strawberries
Malted milk balls, coarsely chopped
Hot fudge ice cream topping (optional)
Directions:
Crust - In a medium bowl combine crushed cones and sugar. Drizzle with melted butter; toss gently to coat. Press mixture evenly onto bottom of an 8 or 9 inch spring form pan. Cover and freeze about 30 minutes or until firm. Place a large bowl in the freezer to chill for a few minutes for an upcoming step.
Place the 3 cups strawberries in a blender. Cover and blend until smooth. In a chilled bowl (aha!) stir ice cream with a wooden spoon until softened. Stir in 1/2 cup of pureed strawberries and the malted milk powder. Spoon half of the ice cream mixture over crust, spreading evenly. Cover and freeze for 30 minutes. (Cover and freeze remaining ice cream mixture as well.)
Spoon remaining pureed strawberries over ice cream layer. Cover and freeze for 30 minutes more. Stir remaining ice cream mixture to soften. Spoon over strawberry layer and spread evenly. Top with the 1/2 cup chopped strawberries. Cover and freeze about 8 hours or until firm.
Let pie stand at room temp for 15 minutes before serving. Cut into wedges and top with chopped malted milk balls, additional strawberries and hot fudge topping. The recipe actually says to top with these things "if desired".... who doesn't ?!?
Sounds yummy!!
ReplyDelete