Sunday, October 16, 2011

Week 9 - Featured Chef: Dawn Watson

I am pleased to introduce this week's featured chef, my mom!! While I may be a little biased, I was super lucky to grow up eating my mom's delicious food and I can only hope to prepare meals as great as hers for my family:) I was also very lucky to have a mom who did not make us eat anything we didn't like (very picky eaters in our household). She always said, you have to try it, but if you don't like it, you don't have to eat it!!


 I am forever grateful to her for making food that she knew we liked to eat and being so understanding of our different preferences. Thanks Mom for letting me develop my own love of food. I can only imagine how hard it is to balance the need for nutrition and the desire for junk food in your children! I hope you all have a great week and GO RANGERS!


Apple Pie In A Jar
This recipe is my new favorite because I just dump it over a pork tenderloin in the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours. When I get home it smells wonderful and tastes great! If you don't want to go to the trouble of making the apple pie filling you can buy a can. 
You will need enough apples to fill 8 qt. jars

Syrup:
4 ½ cup sugar
1 cup cornstarch
2 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg 
1 tsp. salt
10 cups water
3 Tbsp. lemon juice

Mix all syrup ingredients, except lemon juice. Cook syrup until thick and bubbly. Add lemon juice. Peel and slice apples. Fill jars with apple slices. Cover with cooked syrup. Seal by putting in hot water bath for 20-25 minutes or pressure for 10 minutes at 5 lbs pressure. When you are ready for an apple pie, open a jar and pour in uncooked crust. Dot apples with butter. Add top crust and bake until golden brown.


Cauliflower Salad Bowl

4 cups thinly sliced raw cauliflower
1 cup very coarsely chopped pitted ripe olives
2/3 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pimiento
1/2 cup chopped onion
Crisp salad greens
DRESSING:
1/2 cup salad or olive oil 3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons wine vinegar 2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar 1/4 teaspoon pepper

1. In medium bowl, combine cauliflower, olives, green pepper, pimiento, and onion.
2. Make dressing; in small bowl, combine salad oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, sugar, and pepper. Beat with rotary beater until well blended. Pour over cauliflower mixture.
3. Refrigerate, covered, until well chilled, 4 hours or overnight.
4. To serve: spoon salad into bowl lined with salad greens. Toss just before serving.
Makes 8 to 10 servings. 

3 comments:

  1. It has always been my pleasure to feed my family! I love the blog and it helps me to keep trying new things. Thanks to my wonderful daughter - love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful cook & sister. You taught me well! I HATE apples but LOVE apple pie in a jar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So at least half of my recipes come from my mom, but these are two of mine and Brent's favorites!

    Corn Casserole

    8 oz cream cheese, softened
    6 Tbsp margarine, softened
    1 can cream corn
    2 can whole kernel corn
    1 small can chopped green chilies
    2 Tbsp chopped jalapenos

    Mix well and bake at 350 until bubbly (approx 20). ~ I usually stir it about half way through.

    Mexican Cornbread

    1 lb hamburger meat
    1 onion chopped
    1/4 c pickled jalapenos, chopped
    1/2 lb grated cheddar cheese
    1 c yellow cornmeal
    1 can cream style corn
    1 c milk
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 c. vegetable oil
    2 eggs

    Brown meat and drain. Grease an iron skillet and sprinkle with yellow corn meal. Mix cornmeal, eggs, milk, baking soda, salt, oil and corn. Add chopped onions and peppers. Pour half of the mixture into skillet. Top with meat and cheese. Pour on remaining mixture. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.

    ReplyDelete